O.C., C.Q., O.M., DFA
One of the most prominent violin virtuosos of her generation, Angèle Dubeau has led an exceptional career for over 40 years in the great concert halls of the world. While her virtuosity and musicality have seduced critics, concertgoers love Angèle Dubeau for her captivating music, her uncommon gift as a communicator, her generosity, and her outstanding ability to connect with her audience. She has garnered many awards over the years, and she is one of the rare classical violinists in the world to have been awarded gold records. She has sold over 600,000 albums throughout her career. Furthermore, the works from her discography have been streamed more than 60 million times in more than 100 countries over the past four years.
Angèle Dubeau’s musical career remains unequalled. At the Conservatoire de Musique de Montréal, she earned a Premier Prix in violin at age 15, studying with Raymond Dessaints (Master’s Degree in Music), and a Premier Prix in chamber music at age 16. She then moved to New York to work with Dorothy DeLay at the prestigious Juilliard School of Music.
From 1981 to 1984, she studied in Romania with the eminent pedagogue Stefan Gheorghiu. She has won several national and international competitions.
Convinced that classical music should be introduced to a wider audience, Angèle Dubeau has been a pioneer in programming and hosting gala concerts and weekly music television shows such as the famous Radio-Canada show Faites vos gammes. Since 1995, she has been the artistic director of the popular Mont-Tremblant, Québec music festival La Fête de la Musique de Tremblant, which attracts over 35,000 music lovers annually.
Whether performing alone, in front of an orchestra, or in the intimacy of chamber repertoire with La Pietà, Angèle Dubeau continues to move and astonish audiences, while wanting only one thing: to do it all over again.
Angèle Dubeau plays the “Des Rosiers” Antonio Stradivarius violin (1733).
For her talent and her exceptional contribution to the country, Angèle Dubeau has been appointed
- 2012 – Officer of the Order of Canada
(Member of the Order of Canada since 1996)
- 2004 – Knight of the Ordre national du Québec
- 2018 – Officer of the Order of Montreal
- 2018 – The title of Compagne des arts et lettres du Québec
She has also received
- 2012 – The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- 2002 – The Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
- 2018 – The RIDEAU Hommage prize from the Réseau indépendant des diffuseurs d’événements artistiques unis
- 2015 – A Doctorate honoris causa from Concordia University’s Faculty of Fine Arts (Montréal)
- 1996 – The Calixa-Lavallée prize from the Société Saint-Jean- Baptiste de Montréal
- MORE THAN 60 MILLIONS STREAMS TO THIS DAY
- MORE THAN 600 000 ALBUMS SOLD
- MORE THAN 40 YEARS OF CONCERTS IN 40 COUNTRIES
- GOLD RECORD for the album On Wings of Song (1995)
- GOLD RECORD for the album Infernal Violins (2007)
- GOLD RECORD for the album A Time for Us (2012)
- Many “Recording of the week” mentions in classical radio programs in the US and Europe
- At the ADISQ Gala: 17 FÉLIX PRIZES FOR “CLASSICAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR”
These albums were awarded:
- Best Classical Album of 2014 (iTunes Canada)
- Top 10 Best classical albums of 2014 (Classic FM Radio, Londres)
- Top 15 favourite CDs of KDFC in 2014 (KDFC Radio, San Francisco)
- Top 10 Most-Coveted New Classical Tracks Albums of 2014 (Minnesota Public Radio)
Album Portrait: Ludovico Einaudi
- Best contemporary classical violin album in the world of 2015 (iTunes)
- Top 10 best albums of 2015 (ArkivMusic Magazine)
& La Pietà
Driven by the desire to innovate, Angèle Dubeau founded La Pietà in 1997, an all-woman string ensemble featuring some of Canada’s best musicians. What she could not have known at the time was that this experiment, originally conceived of for periodic recordings, would gradually become a full-time occupation. From early on, the ensemble gained a solid reputation, playing Canada’s most prestigious venues and on television. Known for their exceptional virtuosity and impeccable precision, their rich interpretations, and above all the contagious happiness that enlivens their stage presence, Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà have crisscrossed the world for over 20 years.
Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà
Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà is a non-profit organization founded in 1997. La Pietà’s mandate has never changed: Perform and release exceptional music to the widest audience. The orchestra draws from a broad range of cultural influences, but whatever the repertoire, it focuses on uncompromising excellence of performance. The orchestra’s ever-growing audiences enjoy its performances of original, diverse, and refined works in both classical and contemporary traditions.
From the start, La Pietà’s mission has concentrated on an ongoing quest for virtuosity, aimed at making outstanding music accessible to all audiences while offering new repertoires drawn from a wide variety of musical influences. Invariably acclaimed by critics and audiences alike, La Pietà performs its programs on national and international concerts and makes them available worldwide on physical and digital media.
A brief history
Like the Venetian orphanage Ospedale della Pietà, La Pietà is an ensemble of strings and piano made up entirely of women. The orchestra’s musicians come from our best schools and are among the finest performers in the country. A prominent violin virtuoso, Angèle Dubeau remains the artistic director of the orchestra she founded in 1997. An extraordinary artist, Dubeau has nobly represented Canada, garnering numerous national and international awards along the way. A visionary leader, she constantly pursues the goals of excellence and artistic boldness.
Since the group’s founding, Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà have recorded 20 albums, all of which have topped the Canadian charts. By recording period works from a variety of styles and composers, La Pietà has been able to appeal to a broad audience and earn a loyal following. Over the years, Dubeau’s talent for creating programs with engaging themes has proved to be a competitive advantage for La Pietà. When put on stage, these thematic programs are guaranteed to draw audiences to the group’s concerts, and they provide an exceptional showcase through international promotion.
Senior Vice President
Corporate and Institutional Affairs
Partner Services-conseils financiers
BDO Canada LLP/s.r.l./S.E.N.C.R.L.
President Groupe Méfor inc.
and Corporate Director